Harley Davidson Production Numbers 1903-1980

Posted on 5th August 2008 by JG Mashino in Harley-Davidson,Motorcycle News,Old School - Tags:

Did you ever wonder just how many Harley motorcycles were made in 1919, or 1955. Well now you can check a complete list of Harley Davidson production numbers from 1903 through 1980. I just up-dated my site at www.motorcycles.my68flh.com to include this terrific resource, you can find it by following this link, motorcycles.my68flh.com/production numbers. So if you are thinking about buying a pre 1980 Harley and want to know how many were manufactured that year, just check out this list. If this helps you out in any way, please let me know.

Be Sociable, Share!

40 Comments »

1. What are the total production quantities to date

Comment by Brendan McTigue — February 21, 2009 @ 5:03 pm

2. great data on total production. can you break it down to model types for 1937.
    how many E, ES and EL were built?
    thanks

Comment by Cole Neill — October 23, 2009 @ 10:59 am

3. Cole,
    From the info I have on the 1937 production of Harley Davidson, 11,674 total number of units. Total 61’s manufactured were 2,205, 126 were E’s, 70 were ES and 1829 were EL’s.
    Thanks for stopping by, I hope that answered your question.

Comment by Electra Glide In Blue — October 23, 2009 @ 12:19 pm

4. Can you find out any production numbers after 1980? I have a 1994 FLSTN that I would like to know the production numbers for. Thanks.

Comment by Mary Ann — December 3, 2009 @ 12:09 pm

5. Mary Ann,
    I would call Harley and speak with a Harley-Davidson customer service representative at (414) 343-4056. You will probably need your vin number and they should be able to tell you everything you what to know.
    Thanks for stopping by.

Comment by Electra Glide In Blue — December 9, 2009 @ 10:31 am

6. Can you tell me how many (Bad Boy) bikes were built by Harley Davidson in 1995?
    And was that the only year of production?
    Thanks a ton!!!

Comment by Roger Phipps — January 27, 2010 @ 9:37 pm

7. Cool ,
    I was wanting to see how many H-D 1936’s were made and found your site!! Wow great info and love the ol-tex story of Sarges 37 UL. The 1948 HARD BAGS story is price-less… Thanks for the great site!! As I’ll Book mark it to show my friend’s!
    Katto of MO. U.S.A.

Comment by Katto — February 18, 2010 @ 3:17 pm

8. was wondering if you can help identfiy a 30s or 40s springer front end found rocker numbers which are sc-4a on one the other is sc-3a with a 6 above dash and also has a circle with m over f in it

Comment by woody — March 8, 2010 @ 5:55 pm

9. woody,
    Harley used those rockers on all springers from 1931-1948, to id the front end I would need to see some pic’s, but this info may help ya…
    Is there grease fitting bosses on these rockers? 31-early 42 had no grease fitting. 42-57 had flats milled into the rocker stud bushing bosses. 42-on had grease zerk bosses.
    There are two groups of front ends, big-twin and 45, and four different types – inline (both groups), off-set (BT only), I-beam (45 only), and servi-car, 45 only.

Comment by Electra Glide In Blue — March 9, 2010 @ 8:06 am

10. I own a 1942 WL. Can you tell me how many were made in ’42? I know there were’nt many because soon into that year they went to WLA’s for the war effort. Thanks.

Comment by hogtied — March 27, 2010 @ 8:25 pm

11. hogtied,
    Congratulations, you are the proud owner of one, 42 WL out of 142 manufactured in 1942. I know of six others still on the road today.
    If you get a chance send me some pic’s with a little of your bikes history and I’ll do a post about your WL.

Comment by Electra Glide In Blue — March 27, 2010 @ 11:09 pm

12. […] of this production year only 142 WL’s were manufactured. The WL, a 45 twin with high compression had a retail price […]

Pingback by Rare 1942 WL Readers Ride | Electra Glide In Blue — April 8, 2010 @ 9:53 am

13. I hope you can help me out with this one. I purchased a 1982 FLHP 7 years ago in GA. and had the vin checked and the bike retitled in Florida. The bike was a project to put it mildly and I just got it put back together. I went to get a Tag for it and the DMV wouldn’t give me one because they said there is a bike in Kentucky with the same vin number. I need to prove that mine is the original and I’ve heard that the late model vin can’t be duplicated. Is this true?

Comment by blbrown1972 — May 14, 2010 @ 5:51 pm

14. blbrown72,
    Give me a day or two, and I’ll get back too ya.

Comment by Electra Glide In Blue — May 15, 2010 @ 8:02 pm

15. OK thanks, If it helps, the 8 is supposed to be the one number that can’t be dupted.

Comment by blbrown1972 — May 16, 2010 @ 6:03 am

16. I own motor (WL ora WLA) and have a problem with serial number. Bottom number is: 45-5128 (the same both side) but number VIN is: 52784 , not WL or WLA. Perhaps it is not originally. I try to restauration this Harley (now civilian version) but I’m not sure about Year of production and mode WL or WLA, WLC. Is it possible to find answer?

Comment by Jakub — September 7, 2010 @ 3:03 am

17. Jakub,
    If you could email me some pic’s of the vin boss and belly numbers I may be able to help you out. Also on the left case there should be a set of casting numbers that can be seen by removing the primary drive. The year can be narrowed down by looking at the heads, and a few other things. How and what year is this thing titled is another question.
    You can Email me, admin(at)my68flh.com.

Comment by Electra Glide In Blue — September 7, 2010 @ 5:30 am

18. Hello everyone i am trying to get information on a recent bike i picked up! i am trying to fiqure out the vin number and a little history on the bike plus production numbers! the motor crank case say 45WL1603 is that the vin or just motor stamping and is there a way to decode it like a car to figure original paint color and etc! any input will be greatly appriciated thanks

Comment by Bryan — September 20, 2010 @ 1:39 pm

19. Bryan,
    You have a 1945 45 high compression solo model. The only stock color for 1945 was Gray. Your numbers can only be verified as “factory” by seeing a pic of the vin boss.

Comment by Electra Glide In Blue — October 8, 2010 @ 6:57 am

20. Hello, I have engine with the numbers begining 41WL. Can you tell me any information about production of WL in 1941? How much of them were produced in this year? What were colours scheme etc. I’m from Poland and here is a lot of parts and informations about WLA. WL is rare model.

Comment by Piotr — January 24, 2011 @ 6:29 am

21. Here’s a cool set of numbers for ya. I’ve got a 61 pan and the vin is 61FLH1903. Am I the only one that thinks that’s cool?

Comment by Youngmike — March 20, 2011 @ 12:10 pm

22. I’m trying to find the production for my 63FL7210. Mine is a police special, tank shift, and the oil tank is on the right side of the battery box (where as most oil tanks wrap around the battery). I was told this puts the oil outside of the hot air from the jugs.

Comment by Merle — April 8, 2011 @ 11:14 am

23. I purchased an 83 FLHT and it is all chromed,tank,fenders,front end,etc. Is there some factory standard for this or is this someones customizing job? any help would be great.

Comment by jowts4 — July 5, 2011 @ 10:58 pm

24. WOULD YOU KNOW HOW MANY 1949 EL’S WERE PRODUCED.

JUST BOUGHT ONE BARN FRESH IN EXCELLENT CONDITION ALL ORIGINAL

Comment by BRET — July 12, 2011 @ 9:47 pm

25. I am in the process of purchasing a 1950 HD, the owners refers to it as a 1950WL, but the VIN is 50″G”1222, it’s not a servicar, can you give me any information regarding this ride? He states that an ex-police cycle, it is 3 speed with reverse. thanks bro

Comment by Jerry — July 29, 2011 @ 8:31 pm

26. I just bought a nice ’65 Panhead. The VIN on the left case is 65FL11781. I’ve been searching and searching and can’t find a breakdown of this VIN, like what exactly this bike was when new. Is that possible? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment by Karl — August 5, 2011 @ 7:29 pm

27. Hello All,

I have just picked up a 1933 VLE Harley Davidson and wanted to know how many VLE’s were made in 1933. My bike runs pretty good and everything works.

Thanks!

Comment by Slingshot — September 2, 2011 @ 10:53 am

28. Do you have the production numbers for a 1965 aermacchi harley davidson m50 and 1966 m50 and m50sport

Comment by nick — September 4, 2011 @ 11:43 am

29. I have a Harley motor it looks like a1903 in the pictures the only numbers
    I can find on the motor casing is A. C. 69 Would you know any info on this
    motor?
    Please give me an email with any info youcould give me on this
    Thanks Jim Nickels

Comment by Jim Nickels — September 9, 2011 @ 10:11 pm

30. Hey,

I have a 1945 E Knucklehead that I restored and trying to find how many of this model were made that year. The VIN is 45E2003. I brought it back original with the gray paint. Any idea what it might be worth. It runs great and starts on 2 or 3 kicks.

Any help appreciated,
    Tom Vanderbilt

Comment by Tom Vanderbilt — October 18, 2011 @ 4:58 pm

31. I just bought a’73 Shovelhead. The VIN is 1A23303H3. I am trying to find how many of this model were made that year and like what exactly this bike was when new.

Thanks

Comment by Roman — November 4, 2011 @ 11:56 am

32. IM BUILDING A REPLICA OF MY UNCLES 1980 FLH AND WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE CAN TELL ME WHERE I CAN GET THE EXACT COLOR CODE FOR THE CHARCOAL GREY.

Comment by JUNIOR — November 8, 2011 @ 11:23 pm

33. Heres a discussion we had recently…
    Of the Motorcycles produced with the Shovel Motor, what percentage were Dressers / Touring bikes…

Comment by Chris — November 30, 2011 @ 4:46 pm

34. Hi, I have a 1980 Harley FXB Sturgis and would like to know if someone can help me find out what part of the vin tells what the production number is.

Comment by Mike — January 6, 2012 @ 8:28 pm

35. Hi, I just picked up a Flathead 45 motor. The right side case doesn’t have a serial #. The bar where the number is usually stamped is blank. I’m guessing the case may have been replaced at some time? The belly # is 70-1251. Any way of telling mfg. date? Thanks……

Comment by JohnO — March 18, 2012 @ 6:23 pm

36. Hi. I think I meant to say left side case doesn’t have the serial #. Also, the part# stamped on this side of the case is 112-392. Any info on the mfg. date would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again

Comment by JohnO — March 18, 2012 @ 7:07 pm

37. I have just bought a AMF Harley Davidson SR100, year 1974. Do you have the productions figures for the SR 100 and the MSR100 for 1974. BTW, your site info. is great. Johnny

Comment by John Weaver — September 4, 2012 @ 8:45 pm

38. mike can you contact me on the sturgis ,i also own one too.i have some question i would like to ask you … i know that they made 1,430 in 1980 .of the 1980 sturgis

Comment by bill rhea — April 30, 2013 @ 3:11 pm

39. Looking for the production numbers of 1983 FLHT and FLHTC

Comment by Paul — October 1, 2013 @ 7:40 pm

40. Hi, I also have a 1980 Harley FXB Sturgis and would like to know if someone can help me find out what part of the vin tells what the production number is. I know there was 1,470 made in 1980 on my vin # there is 5 sequential number how do i read these #”s to known which of of the 1,470 made is mine?
    Thanks in advance for your help
    Ray