Abolafia MC and the First of May

Posted on 5th May 2010 by JG Mashino in Living - Tags: , ,

I spent the first 38 years of my life in northwest Indiana and the first of May always brings back memories of back home in Indiana.

The first of May is when the Morel mushrooms turn to grey, a delicacy in most parts of the world. The lilacs are in full bloom and the large-mouth bass are hitting at the farm ponds. Morel Mushroom

Jump on I-65 southbound for about four hours and you’re in the infield at Churchill Downs.

For a little more speed and less travel, in an hour you can be in the infield at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

The one thing that I remember the most (other than it’s my birthday month) is the sound of motorcycles during the first of May as the Abolafia MC rolled into the north cemetery of my hometown to pay respect to one of their brothers who was laid to rest in 1976.

My cousin was 25 years old and Vice President of the Abolafia MC. While on a run eight miles north of Delphi on U.S. 421, he hit a pothole going into a cure and ran off the road and into the roadside ditch. He was able to ride this out for more than 400 feet until he hit a concrete culvert he didn’t see in the high grass. He was wearing a helmet (mandatory helmet law in Indiana at the time) and died instantly of a broken neck.

This was my first biker funeral and a first for the funeral director. In later years the funeral director confided in me that he was scared shitless in handling this one. Abolafia members controlled the funeral and arrangements from start to finish. Embalming was the only thing allowed. No cleanup or best of Sunday clothes here. The coffin was open, he laid there just as he had died, wearing the colors of the Abolafia MC.

To this day, just like the last 34 years, they make the first of May cemetery run to pay respect. That is brotherhood that many will never know.

The NTHSA estimates that helmets saved the lives of 1,829 motorcyclists in 2008. They have no estimates of how many were killed because of helmet use. I believe to let those who ride decide.

May is Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month. Remember people in cars are out to kill you. Ride safe and within your own skill limits.

Electra Glide In Blue

Be Sociable, Share!

12 Comments »

1. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Business Coaching. Business Coaching said: Abolafia MC and the First of May http://bit.ly/aXSif6 […]

Pingback by Tweets that mention Abolafia MC and the First of May | Electra Glide In Blue -- Topsy.com — May 5, 2010 @ 10:58 pm

2. happy birthday

Comment by ralland — May 6, 2010 @ 6:29 am

3. Dear EGIB:

Your cousin must have been well-liked as well as respected. There can be no greater epitaph for any rider.

Fondest regards,
    Jack • reep • Toad
    Twisted Roads

Comment by Jack Riepe — May 6, 2010 @ 6:39 pm

4. Are you talking about Mike Houston ?

Comment by Guy Bassett — October 12, 2010 @ 8:20 am

5. Guy,
    I’m talking about my cousin Brad Mashino.

Comment by Electra Glide In Blue — October 23, 2010 @ 1:02 pm

6. When I Rode With The Abolafia, Brad Was Affectionitly Called Lucky. That Was A Sad Day. Injun

Comment by warren eades — October 29, 2010 @ 3:20 pm

7. Did you know a guy by the name of Robert “Hairy” Harrison? I believe he was a member of the MC back in those days.

Comment by Hans — October 15, 2011 @ 9:03 pm

8. Sorry Hans, I can’t speak to whether or not my dad may have known that person. It was an interesting read for me, because this is about the guy I was named after.

Comment by Brad — October 16, 2011 @ 11:00 am

9. Hey Brad thanks for the reply. After searching for 20+ years I found out this year that Hairy was my father. Anyway I have been told that he was one of the founding members of the MC. He died in 1994, so I’m just trying to learn what I can from others. Thanks again for the reply. If anyone reads this and has any info..please feel free to share.

Comment by Hans — October 16, 2011 @ 3:41 pm

10. well I have been a menber since 1981 If I can hepl just ask me Big Jim abolafia mc

Comment by big Jim — July 1, 2012 @ 12:04 pm

11. my daddy was part of the motorcycle club i can remeber going to the property all the time dose anyone still remeber that place?

Comment by corrine — December 5, 2012 @ 9:29 pm

12. I moved away from Indiana 25 years ago. Graduated from high school and married “Injun” who road with Abolafia. How surprised I was to find “injun” had posted on here. We divorced several years ago but stayed close. He died last year and I am trying to find some old pictures, etc memories for the boys. I’m so proud that my oldest son followed his fathers footsteps and rides daily. I have always wondered what happened to everyone. Pirate, Brownie, Two’y, Dave, gee can’t remember everyone. The club house at first was a old school in Monticello then moved to Lafayette off the interstate. Would love to find some of the old guys from then. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment by Beth — June 21, 2013 @ 5:23 pm